What Kind of Acne Do I Have and How Can I Treat It?
Clear skin is important to our confidence and overall health. Let’s explore some common causes of acne, acne types (occasional breakouts, severe cystic acne, persistent), symptoms, and the solutions offered by Park Avenue Medical Spa.
Common acne is medically referred to as “acne vulgaris,” which refers to blackheads, whiteheads, and other pimples. Areas that are commonly affected are the face, chest, shoulders, and back. Comedones are hair follicles that have become clogged with dead skin cells/oil, which can turn into whiteheads and blackheads. Maybe you’ve noticed some of your favorite makeup labeled as “non-comedogenic,” which means it’s less likely to clog pores and cause acne.
Common types of acne include:
- Whiteheads: If the comedones are closed at the surface of the skin, they’re whiteheads caused by oil and skin cells preventing clogged hair follicles from opening.
- Blackheads: These are comedones that are open at the surface of the skin filled with excess oil and dead skin cells that turn dark because of light coming in.
- Pustules: These are similar to a whitehead with a red ring around the bump, pustules are also a type of inflamed pimple.
- Papules: When comedones become inflamed, small red/pink bumps are formed.
- Cysts: These are similar to nodules, and they’re puss-filled, but they look more like boils.
- Nodules: These are firm, large, inflamed bumps that are often painful. Nodules are usually reddish and painful and can sometimes cause scars.
- Mild acne: Usually if you have mild blackheads or whiteheads your acne is considered mild.
- Moderate acne: If you have more than a few inflamed papules or pustules you have moderate acne.
- Severe acne: If you have many papules, pustules, and nodules, you are considered to have severe acne.
How Can Park Avenue Medical Spa Help?
There are many different factors that play a role in acne, like hormones, diets, and stress. Park Avenue Medical Spa can help you identify the type of acne you have as well as the appropriate solution.
What Are the Benefits of Acne Treatments?
At Park Avenue Medical Spa, you can customize your treatment plans to achieve safe, minimally invasive acne solutions that can:
- Provide smoother skin for a beautiful complexion
- Prevent future breakouts
- Treat chronic or severe cystic acne
- Reduce the appearance of acne scars and discolorations
Dr. Tchelebi-Moscatello is a board-certified radiation oncologist and medical aesthetics specialist with a focus on cosmetic services. She studied medical aesthetics in Paris, France, and continues to stay updated with the latest aesthetic techniques under leaders in the field to provide patients with beautiful, natural-looking results. Along with being a member of the Academy of Cosmetic Physicians, the American Academy of Medical Aesthetics, The American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, and the American Academy of Mesotherapy, Dr. Tchelebi-Moscatello is also a member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery.